Tuesday, September 7, 2010

University of Sydney Architecture and Design (disregard the weather)



These images of the University as well as the architecture were inspiring to me as I walked around campus. I noticed that design was in its simplest form. For example,the organic shape of the lounge chair in image 6 reminds me of the shape of a leaf or the curve of a tree branch. In Australian design, I found they design and are inspired based on their surroundings. In the bottom image of the mosaic tiles, the object(bench) in this image was found on Bondi Beach, as the entire bench curves like waves in the ocean. The bench is decorated in a pattern of the sea using mosaic tiles. In images 3 and 4, there was a sculpture on campus made out of recycled filing cabinets and materials.Probably to convey the message of machinery and war: a play on the idea of a war tank which is strong and meant to withstand gunshots. I noticed that most design here was used to incorporate nature with design, and convey the message of sustainability.

No comments:

Post a Comment